Sunday, January 22, 2017



I arrived at the location of my internship on January 18th, a Wednesday. This was done because Monday was Martin Luther King day and the RICHES office was closed. This day I mainly focused on reading and scanning documents with the intention of compiling metadata on them at a later date. Since my fellow intern was using a computer I had previously been using I used a different one this time. Reading through the documents I saw that the Orlando Ministerial Association became a lot more active in the 1960's. They issued resolutions in support of lunch counter protests in Orlando and wrote letters demanding that the FBI investigate the bombings of a synagogue and African American school in Jacksonville. It was in response to this tragic event that John Fuller of the First Unitarian Church of Orlando wrote a document titled the Declaration of Conscience. In this document the Orlando Ministerial Association condemned the actions of the bombers and stated their view that all people regardless of race were equal under God. However, this group of progressive clergymen were facing a problem. Numerous meeting records indicated that a low turnout of members at the meetings was a common problem. Having spent a lot of time sitting I decided to go for a walk but when I returned the digital files containing the scans on the computer had disappeared before I could back them up. I was very frustrated but I had little time to attempt to solve the problem since my shift was ending. I left very unsatisfied.
On Friday, Geoffrey Cravero and I tried to find my files but to no avail. This forced me to re-scan the documents I examined on Wednesday. Since I already read the documents, I focused on scanning them which allowed me to make up my lost progress and make some more. The new documents I scanned were in most part copies of the ones I read previously so not much information was learned. Leaving at the end of my shift I decided that I would focus on metadata next week.   
      

No comments:

Post a Comment